Work Matters to God
Work is a huge part of our lives.
In our recent survey, we found that two thirds of our adult congregation are in paid work. A number are currently seeking employment, while others work in the home or as volunteers.
The Bible teaches us that:
- God made work to be good, but our experience of work is frustrated in a fallen world
- The purpose of our work is to serve Jesus and bring glory to God, whatever work we do
- For Christians, Jesus restores the dignity and purpose of our work, as we serve others with humility and love, and as we look forward to serving him in the new creation
Getting things in perspective
Why not start by letting God's Word reset your perspective?
We've prepared these Bible reflections about work. They'll take you about 20 minutes each, either on your own or in a group.
How can we help you?
Are you looking for a job? Or facing a particular difficulty at work?
The St. Mary's staff team and your growth group would love to support you in prayer.
Also, why not look at our support page, with plenty of material provided by members of our church family with professional experience in Human Resources.
To get in touch, email or call the church office.
Inspiration for Christians at work
Would you like some inspiration to live openly as a Christian believer in your workplace?
- Transform Work UK can help you connect with other Christians where you work. They have advice on setting up a workplace Christian group within the context of diversity legislation, and some brilliant suggestions for loving and supporting your colleagues with the love of Jesus
- The London Institute for Contemporary Christianity (LICC) has some excellent resources for Christians at work
- Gospel At Work is a network supporting Christians in the workplace. Their site includes links to lunchtime Bible talks happening at venues throughout London
- You can find some previous St Mary's seminars about work here
- The Christian Institute has produced a helpful legal guide to
Reflections for Uncertain Times
Four short Bible reflections to help you think through God’s perspective on your working situation, whether you’re in a job, between jobs, or retired from paid employment. Take a look at the separate page.
Careers Advice and Prayer Support (CAPS)
Personal Support for members of St Mary's facing stress, redundancy or unemployment. For more details, view the CAPS page.
Transform Work UK
A national organisation that helps Christians establish groups where they work, in the context of diversity legislation. Take a look at their website.
Gospel at Work
A national network support Christians in the workplace. Includes links to lunchtime Bible talks happening in London. Take a look at their website.
St Mary's Survey
In March 2019 we surveyed our congregations about their working lives. Some of the results are on the survey page.
London Institute for Contemporary Christianity
St Mary's Seminars
We run occasional seminars on work topics. Materials from the most recent events are available here.