What is Christian Foundations?
Christian Foundations, formerly known as the discipleship course, is an exciting three term course that works through what it means in practice to be a follower of Jesus.
In an informal and non-academic way, we think about the foundational truths of the Christian faith. For example, how are we saved? What is the role of prayer? Who is the Holy Spirit? How do I study the Bible for myself?
The course is also part of St Mary’s growth groups, so you will build new relationships and enjoy studying the Bible together. If you have never been in a growth group, this would be a great way to start.
Who is it for?
Anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of God, and deepen their relationship with him!
It's helpful for those who have recently completed Christianity Explored. It would also benefit long-established Christians who want to get to grips with the Bible again. As with Christianity Explored, there is never any pressure to be involved in any way that would make anyone feel uncomfortable.
What is the format?
We meet on Monday evenings during term time, except bank holidays.
Before the pandemic we met in the church hall to enjoy a hot dinner together, but while the Covid restrictions are in place, we enjoy social time on Zoom instead from 7.30pm. We listen to a short talk at 8pm, then break into smaller groups led by experienced leaders to study the Bible together. We always finish by 9.15pm.
What is the content?
You can join the course at any time – spring, summer or autumn. Click on each term to see the different sessions covered:
Autumn Term: Being God's people today
When God calls us to himself, he calls us to belong to his people. This term we will work through what it looks like to be part of God's people ourselves.
1. Being God's people today
2. Introducing your new family
3. Loving your new family
4. Serving your new family
5. Why should we witness?
6. How should we witness?
7. Being distinctive: Marriage
8. Being distinctive: Money
9. Being distinctive: Work
Spring Term: Philippians: To live is Christ
Philippians is one of the most joyful books in the New Testament! Writing to new(ish) Christians, the apostle Paul wants us to understand what life looks like when Jesus Christ is at the centre. As we work our way through Philippians, we will learn how to read a book of the Bible for ourselves.
Summer Term: Living life in relationship with God
Living in relationship with the living God is the wonderful privilege of the Christian life. This term, we work through the difference that will make in our lives:
1. A Free Relationship: all a result of God's grace not our efforts
2. A Secure Relationship: how should Christians respond to suffering, opposition, guilt? We need to know the complete security of our relationship with God.
3. An Exclusive Relationship: God is God; he is to have no rivals!
4. A Trusting Relationship: Christians are saved by faith and live by faith
5. A Growing Relationship: The Holy Spirit; who he is
6. A Growing Relationship: The Holy Spirit; how he works in believers
7. A Growing Relationship: The Bible- how to get the most out of God's word to us
8. A Growing Relationship: Prayer; what prayer is, and how we can enjoy praying
9. An Eternal Relationship: what is heaven? What happens when Jesus returns?
How can I get involved?
Just get in touch with who runs the course.
Due to Covid-19, the course is currently running via Zoom.
The spring term began on Monday 25th January but it’s never too late to join in!