What do we do?
The Careers Advice and Prayer Support team are a group of Christians who have wide expertise in helping people with workplace issues and can give personal, Christ-centric support.
We are available to chat to members of St Mary’s who have been made redundant or who are facing stress at work or the prospect of redundancy.
If you have been made redundant and are looking for immediate advice here are some simple dos and don’ts:
- remember that this happens to many people so it's not your fault!
- take advice and check your rights
- remember that the company has to consult with you so you can discuss why you were selected for redundancy
- find out what other roles could be available with the company if you want to stay
- remember that you are allowed to be accompanied by a colleague at redundancy consultation meetings if you want to
- find out whether the redundancy payment offered to you is negotiable - companies are sometimes willing to pay more than originally offered in order to get your agreement
- think about whether you want to do a similar role again or something different
- make sure you have an up to date CV
- contact your network and continually expand your network (most jobs don't get advertised but are filled by contacts!)
- get on the internet to look for job opportunities
- be proactive
- make decisions on the spur of the moment - take your time to consider what options you have