Who are we?
Our employment advice service is run by volunteer members of the St. Mary’s church family who have professional experience in Human Resources.
Whether you have been made redundant, or are facing stress or conflict at work, we would love to support you. We can help with your CV, advise on employment disputes, and offer prayerful, Christ-centred support in whatever circumstances you find yourself.
What if I’ve been made redundant?
If you have been made redundant and are looking for immediate advice, here are some simple dos and don’ts:
- remember that this happens to many people so it's not your fault!
- take advice and check your rights
- remember that the company has to consult with you so you can discuss why you were selected for redundancy
- find out what other roles could be available with the company if you want to stay
- remember that you are allowed to be accompanied by a colleague at redundancy consultation meetings if you want to
- find out whether the redundancy payment offered to you is negotiable - companies are sometimes willing to pay more than originally offered in order to get your agreement
- think about whether you want to do a similar role again or something different
- make sure you have an up to date CV
- contact your network and continually expand your network (most jobs don't get advertised but are filled by contacts!)
- get on the internet to look for job opportunities
- be proactive
- make decisions on the spur of the moment - take your time to consider what options you have